Search This Blog

Saturday, February 26, 2011

One Square Meal A Day

One square meal a day makes a huge difference in your energy levels. When I say one square meal, I mean a good healthy meal and not burgers or other fast food junk.

Lately, I've been so busy with school and work that I rarely ever stay at home anymore. Out of the week I'm probably home about 2-3 nights. My home feels like a strange place to me now. With that also comes the lack of routine and lack of normalized meals schedule. For the past month all I've been doing is eating out and also eating random things at work. As a result my energy levels have been lagging. I realized how bad this was...

In an attempt to normalize my meals and meal schedule and increase my energy I got an industrial strength VitaMix blender. For the last week or so I've been taking raw veggies and fruits and coconut water and blending it into a smoothie/juice. This last week I was blending the following:
  • 1 apple
  • 1 orange
  • 1 stalk of celery
  • blueberries and raspberries
  • 1 small baby bok choy
  • 6-10 baby carrots
  • a handful of broccoli
  • 1 banana
  • maybe a quarter cup of coconut water or just water
I usually make about 32 ounces of this concoction. You can't taste the veggies, it just tastes like orange and apple with a bit of carrot. I don't juice because you actually discard all the good stuff the veggies and fruits hold. Usually 12-13 ounces keeps me full like a small meal. The great thing about doing this is the amount of energy I've been getting back. Also, since it acts like a small meal replacement it doesn't give me food coma after lunch.

Although not a scientific journal this blog discusses benefits of blending vs juicing. http://alpha-health-plus.com/BLENDING_VS_JUICING_2.html

I hope this inspires you to incorporate more fruits and veggies into your own diet!

Oh yeah and on a random note, I had a reader ask that I write a mini series on investments. Look for that come in the upcoming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment